The changing of the surface around the square head has now brought fresh debris to the surface where I did manage to find a few coins, but it still needs to wash down to a more solid base to search properly and more methodically .
Once past the square head the ground is more solid and the new piling is clearly visible. The old post 1953 piling has been removed and replaced leaving small piles of debris that have been washed through by the tide leaving plenty of historical evidence amongst the tangled mess of old fishing nets and metal. As customary on these occasions I pick up everything and I was soon to fill up my bucket with bits of brass and copper, plus lead fishing weights and pieces of lead work. All for further examination at a later date, I could have picked up more but the bucket I had was too small so I had to leave some things behind.
In a previous posting I mentioned the Balustrade that surrounded the lighthouse that was constructed in 1829 to replace the 1815 original and how I found two parts of a Baluster . Today I found another piece that know brings my tally to three.
After looking at a few prints I am now convinced that the Balustrade is dated 1815 and not 1829 as I originally thought, confirming that my finds are part of the original construction of the stone pier.
Rummaging through the stone debris from the 1953 storm it is noticeable that there are different types of stone used in the construction of the Stone Pier from the 1810 to 1815 period. Today I came across a large slab of granite, one of many that were used to cap the flat surface of the square head.
I could have done with the tide going out a bit further as there has been some iron concretion dug up but then I thought it can wait as there is so much to see and do at the moment. But I will within the next week give it a whack with a club hammer subject to the tide going out far enough of course.