Saturday 16 November 2013

The Mick Twyman collection - The construction of the Winter Gardens Margate

The construction of the Winter Gardens at Margate is very detailed historically and I know there are many photographs doing the circuit following the centenary of the opening.
In Mick's archive I have came across a few with some dated 22nd June 1911 . I believe they  could be the work of Margate photographer George Philip Hoare as he lived opposite the Winter Gardens at the time and his studio was just around the corner in Fort Road. I know in the George Philip Hoare archive there are many of the construction and the early days of the Winter Gardens.








2 comments:

Peter C said...

Great stuff. I don't suppose you have any photos of the WW2 bomb damage at The Winter Gardens?

A J Ovenden said...

Peter , I will have a look.