Sunday 27 July 2014

The sea weed problem and coastal changes in photographs.


I have been sorting through some of the 3,500 images I have on disc for an exhibition on coastal changes by the North East Kent European marine sites project. I am not sure if they would use any of them but I am sorting out a few anyway and the choice is theirs.
I came across this one of Palm Bay Cliftonville taken by Margate photographer George Philip Hoare in 1914. What I find interesting is the amount of sea weed ashore something that is unusual in any Cliftonville photograph during that era as everything was always kept to a certain standard.


Another George Hoare photograph of the cliffs at Clifftonville I suspect this one was taken from the Fort Steps before the Winter Gardens was built and the lower promenade that was in filled with the chalk dug out from the Winter Gardens construction.



I not sure if I have put this one up before, Botany Bay Broadstairs un dated. Provides a good record of cliff erosion when compared to a current day photograph of the area.







No comments: