Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Wednesday, 23 July 2014

A mysterious appearance and some beach finds.





This week there has been media attention on a little bay in Cornwall where lego from a lost cargo container has been washing up. The thread of the article being the mysteries of the sea.
At this moment in time I am working on a mystery of my own. About a fortnight ago I came across big lumps of coal washed up in one small area on the foreshore this included large lumps of ships timber and a base of a large earthenware pot. The largest piece of coal weighs just over two kilo and going by the barnacle growth they have been on the sea bed a long time. So why all of a sudden do large lumps of coal and ships timbers suddenly move off the sea bed and end up on the strandline. They may be all unrelated  instinct does tell me that an inshore wreck is breaking up. Anyway I will find out tomorrow when I revisit the site.


A nice surprise this week a piece of Amber found at Ramsgate.
 

 
A few fossils all found in the past fortnight in three locations in Thanet.

No comments: