Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Friday, 21 March 2014

local history round up


A few items turned up this week both receipts from the 1950's. Above is a receipt issued by Sturton & Son High Street Margate dated 17th March 1957 . I have passed a copy on to Suzannah of  Margate Local and Family History for her archive. It may be 1950's but it is surprising how little there is from that era in archive apart from newspapers. In Thanet there is this tendency that local history ends when it comes to the 1950's and 1960's and it is surprising how little information there is in archives both public and private.This is one of the reasons I like the Margate local and family history facebook page because it is progressive and is laying down the history of the 1950's and 1960's for future generations.


I was also fortunate to come across two receipts dated 1951 issued by Deakin & Son High Street Ramsgate. I will be passing these onto Terry Wheeler of the Ramsgate Historical Society who specializes in the history of Ramsgate High Street. One day Terry will produce a book on the subject and if anyone has anything of this nature and age from the High street I am sure Terry will be pleased to know. As for myself I will wait for the book to come out.

I am no longer having anything to do with the Margate Museum so I will not in future deal with any enquires regarding that venue. I  have deleted all files  relating to the TDC facility and all my records and archive are now in the recycling container at Richborough . The link has been completely completely severed.
To be honest it doesn't bother me the slightest as I have so much project work to do, plus I can hold my own ground. I am not going to bitch about the reasons why other than the link is totally broken.








4 comments:

John Holyer said...

Nine quid for a raincoat was expensive for 1951. But I bet it was an excellent raincoat bearing in mind that Deakins sold only high quality goods. Deakins was my favourite shop and I still have a sweater that I bought there in the 70s.

Tony Ovenden said...

John, I bet most of it was made in England.

John Holyer said...

Tony, It was or to be accurate Scotland.

PS: What are we both doing up at this time of the morning!

Tony Ovenden said...

Been working a week of nights and couldn't sleep.