Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Thursday, 20 February 2014

Ramsgate artefacts - TDC and the forlorn hope



This week I have had only one item come in and that is from Ramsgate and it is a piece of Chatham House history a parents association newsletter  dated 1934.
As I write I expect the audit and cataloging of the TDC art and artefacts collection at the Margate Museum is well under way a process that is long overdue by all accounts. To get this far is a result but does it end there?
Well I would think probably not, because it has to be considered that this task is correcting years of local government neglect on an epic scale that involves at least 20,000 items. I have no longer any doubt over the job getting done now they have got a TDC Councillors son heading the audit and I understand he is very experienced at that type of thing. I find it no coincidence that within the system they are now touting for a £25k job position to cover the role.
The real question is will TDC Councillors or even Joe Public get to know any of the more gory details of the findings. I not being cynical but I was approached by someone within the audit process asking me about a painting they “think” may be worth £200K and asked me what I thought. Well the answer is simple ask a fine art expert not me.  This one item alone really does high light the complexity of what lies within the system and I think TDC Councillors really need to keep tabs on this. Considering the next artefacts working party meeting is in August and a lot can happen between now and then that Councillors wouldn't even know about.
As you can gather my name is mud within Margate historical circles and I don’t expect it is high up on the list among the Ramsgate clique either. I may be a Ramsgate Town Councillor but I am not a political careerist so at the end of the day what people think doesn't really matter at all and taking on the forlorn hope is something I am used to.
I have been looking into Ramsgate artifacts issues and to be honest it is dire and sadly the same applies to Broadstairs.  I have no doubt that the local government process has let both towns down for decades.
Ramsgate may have been a victim of the library fire but there has been no attempt at all to pick up the pieces regarding town history. Following the last RTC meeting I find it is going to be a hard job to sell this to other members plus RTC is badly infected with the goings on at TDC. I think I will have to change tack and the priority has to be fine art, decorative art and unique items with a provenance if I have to sell this to RTC members.


No comments: