Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Friday, 7 February 2014

Ramsgate artefacts - now lets get the ball rolling.



From the smallest piece of information there is always something of interest to someone and this list obtained from the Ramsgate library does exactly that. Even though it was not obtained through official channels it is still a public document and I know there are many people in Ramsgate that will have an interest in it. I sent a copy to the Montefiore Heritage people and they were pleased to learn about certain items on the list.Also I sent a copy to someone looking into the Broadstairs side of things and they too were pleased to learn about certain items.
I notice Item 5 with starting with the letter R in the far right hand column does indicate that somewhere in the system there has to be at least 419 items and must be part of an old Borough of Ramsgate listing, however it is strange that other Ramsgate items do not have this number and I am surprised Margate items are unnumbered also. I know I have been having a go at Thanet District Council for sometime but one thing TDC always is number everything they own giving its origin and I find it strange KCC have not.
I do suspect the unnumbered items items may originate from the Parker list and there is a 100% certainty they were transferred over during local government changeover in 1974,  fortunately I do know where the Parker list is and I have compiled a Ramsgate checklist.
The descriptions are not exactly what I would expect from a Kent County Council  facility, for example number 45 listed as "Ramsgate in a high gale"  is a print of Phillipe Jacques de Loutherbourg's work originally published 1st October 1808 from the series "The romantic and picturesque scenery of England and Wales". TDC owns one on loan to the maritime museum numbered of course, Ramsgate Town Council own one and it looks as if Ramsgate library now has a one. For the record there is also another de Loutherbourg print of the same period "Ramsgate with a view of the new lighthouse" than accompanies this one and there is a one in the maritime museum on loan from TDC numbered of course.
Anyway I do have a lot to glean from this and I would appreciate any addition information for the cause.

No comments: