Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Saturday, 25 January 2014

TDC artefacts review , Broadstairs and Ramsgate cultural items my thoughts .

I have now finished reading the agenda for the TDC artefacts management  review task and finish group meeting on Monday 27th January 2014. In fact I have gone over it line by line a couple of times. After digesting what I have read I can honestly say the proposed collections policy and documentation procedures for the Margate Museum is excellent and it will give TDC a managed portfolio of the art and artefcats it owns at the facility. Once set in stone all TDC will have to do is monitor the managed system and development of this great asset from time to time. I do feel partly disappointed that all the incompetence in the past has been swept away as if it never happened but TDC have opted for a complete fresh start. Some may even say a cover up but then a pragmatist would argue that a complete fresh start is the only way forward and there is also some truth in that .
I think once the review  is past onto to the next stage of the political process I think most TDC members will be pleased with the outcome and any previous history surrounding the TDC collection can be well and truly buried now they have a workable managed system.
I do have one point I noticed and it does concern me. The  agenda is focused entirely on the statement of purpose and development of  "Margate's history and culture" . Considering that the collection is a TDC collection I find it alarming that Broadstairs , Ramsgate and the villages barely get a mention. It may be an oversight, there may be more to come but  the entire agenda reads as if all the Broadstairs, Ramsgate and the villages historic items are going to remain in storage for another twenty years and there is no plan. Perhaps a decision has been made that the Thanet collection is now a Margate museum collection I do not know.
Considering that items relating to  Broadstairs, Ramsgate and villages were taken from other parts of Thanet and deposited in the Margate museum I can see problems if this is the case. In the policy  statement it does state that the Margate Museum can dispose of any item that does not meet the Margate Museum's statement of purpose . So as the Margate Museum will develop as it will do, they will need space, so items that are not related to Margate will be surplus to requirement and will need disposing.  I must also add  it  states in the policy that any disposals have to go through the TDC democratic process so there is a safeguard.
Therefore I think it will be good forward thinking for anyone reading this from the Ramsgate and Broadstairs town councils, the parishes , interested groups, and societies  monitor the situation. Perhaps they could start making representations , it is just a thought.

No comments: