Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Wednesday, 11 December 2013

Provenance - Westgate on sea

Sometime ago I posted a photograph of a Spode filigree design coffee mug circa 1825 .The mug was brought ashore by a local Ramsgate fisherman who has loaned it me. Recently he gave me some other items to looks at and to put the record straight I asked him where was the exact location this mug actually came off the sea bed, something I suppose I should have asked him in the first place. He told me that it came off Westgate about  two and a half miles out and North West from the old South East Margate bouy ( in old money). Being an ex fisherman myself I knew exactly where he meant.and it is an area where the sea bed is a mixture of  soft mud and sand, perfect ground for sole fishing. Thinking about it,  about thirty years ago it was an area where things would turn up in nets including bones which more often than not we would throw them back over the side as soon as we found them. How the mug got there is impossible to say but I can at least now list this item as a Westgate relic.
While on the subject of Spode this is a shard I found on Margate main sands earlier this year. Typically Victorian it is a relic of a Victorian sea side holiday.  I was hoping in the new year to add to my Margate collection of beach shards, but unless we get some really bad storm force weather that will cut through the main sands in 2014 the out look is grim with such a large build up of sand in the bay. The good thing about the 22 miles of Thanet coastline is that I can guarantee there will be something else that will keep me occupied.

No comments: