Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Monday, 2 December 2013

Being for the benefit of Mr Kite

During the sixties the Beatles wrote and performed a song "Being for the benefit of Mr Kite" that just happens to be one of my favourite Beatles songs . As the story goes John Lennon was influenced by a Victorian circus poster and what he wrote in my eyes was a masterpiece that captured the ambiance of Victorian showmanship so well. In fact when I listen to the song it reminds me so much of Dreamland as I saw it when I was a kid .
The same applies to Victorian posters that advertise an event the song seems to kick in , I try to work certain lines of the poster into the song by changing lyrics but I am not that good at it. Recently I came across scans of a few local posters that are classic Victoriana  and they are well worth a download for you to enjoy.
It is interesting to note that children received a souvenir medal that was in white metal and a souvenir mug all limited edition stuff and it does make me wonder if there are any still around to day in a collection somewhere.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You may probably already know that Mr Kite and Mr Henderson were on a poster for Pablo Fanque. The original Pablo Fanque was a negro rope dancer and at Nottingham he met William Darby who was into horses and rope and wire walking. Darby was the son of an African slave who had been brought back to Norfolk, became a butler and had fathered young Darby. William changed his name shortly after Nottingham to Pablo Fanque. Pablo went on to be the first black circus owner in the country.
Mac Carty

Tony Ovenden said...

Annon, thank you very much for that information .