Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Saturday, 26 October 2013

Civic life -Things ain't what they use to be.

As I have said in previous postings I have been going through part of the Mick Twyman archive. My latest research is getting a glimpse of local political and civic life in the past. I have come across many interesting  political posters and photographs finding out many interesting facts.



For example they used the town silver for other purpose like holding drinking competitions. I like the way this guy has taken off his top hat while the mayor and town sergeant look on.


They even had models of the Winter Gardens made in Chocolate and they would then eat it, Civic life certainly was fun in those days.


At one event it all got much for the Chief Constable they had to carry him home.


It look like the Mayor had the same problem at this event. judging by the expressions on their faces it looks as if everybody had to walk home.

3 comments:

Peter Checksfield said...

Another things that's changed is cycling on the promenade! Even as a keen cyclist myself I have mixed feelings over this...

Fascinating photos as always.

Peter Checksfield said...

PS. Any chance of turning the CAPTRA off? There's no need for it if you're approving comments, and it's getting more and more difficult to read (took me 4 attempts to post the last comment!).

Tony Ovenden said...

Yes okay Peter.