Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Wednesday, 17 July 2013

Provenance

A few postings back I featured some items that came off the sea bed at Ramsgate and being a Thanet found item I feel duty bound to find out as much I can about each item and establish its provenance as a Thanet found item.
Follow a few emails and a bit of internet research I have now found out exactly what the mug photographed on the left is. It is a Spode mug and it dates cica 1825, it is of the Filigree design and is part of a set that was a very popular floral design at the time. The mug is intact, there are no chips or cracks and is discouraged in places from its time on the sea bed. The mug was brought ashore by Ramsgate fisherman Barry Parker who found it in his nets. I will be following up as to where the position on the sea bed the item was found. However one thing is for sure this is a genuine Thanet found item something I know future generations will admire.

1 comment:

Don Wood said...

Yep I admire it Tony shame he never got the rest of the service it came from. Strange how it survived all these years and even more so that it didnt smash in the net.