Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Wednesday, 12 June 2013

Latest finds, a ramble and a Ramsgate Museum ?

This past six months has seen some remarkable changes to the landscape around the low water areas of Margate main sands. In some areas sand banks have gone entirely and sand have built up to unprecedented levels around the Nayland Rock. All due to the late spring storms and the impact of the sea defence works including the refurbishment of the tidal pool. My focus since the early part of the year has been to build on my collection of earthenware found in the area that includes any item that can be dated whether it is complete or broken. I do now have a collection that I can date from 1834 to the early 1920’s all from the Margate area and nowhere else. It may not be everyone’s cup of tea but it does record the Victorian and Edwardian presence on Margate main sands and the collection has the provenance. Recently I did a small exhibition of part of the collection for the Monkton nature reserve open day and it was well received.

Now that the Margate Museum and Tudor House volunteer friends group has become TDC officer dominated I think the chances of myself having any input in any future exhibition is now absolutely zero. When taking into consideration the way I was levered off the Friends of the Margate museum executive for exposing the truth about the TDC collection, so I think my involvement with the Margate Museum is well and truly over. Am I bothered? Well to be honest not the slightest as I will be joining the movement to establish a Town Museum in Ramsgate.

A few days ago I had a look around the newly refurbished tidal pool at Margate just to see what is turning up now the works have finished. I was hoping to find earthenware but instead I came across many pieces of glass from the Victorian era unearthed due to the digging. Many of the pieces were from the Hamilton design bottle that was very popular soda water bottle at the time. Patented in 1809 by William Hamilton the bottle has a pointed base that ensured the bottle was always stored on its side keeping the cork wet and sealing the contents.
One piece of glass I found was a fine example of the thickness of the glass from a Victorian Hamilton mineral water bottles during the 1880’s and earlier of which I have photographed.



No comments: