Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Monday, 27 May 2013

TDC - Why are they investigating me ?


A few days ago I received a telephone call from a Thanet District Council officer that really alarmed me. He was ringing to inform me that because as I am a member of the Friends of the Margate Museum executive it would be a vested interest and it will prevent me from sitting as a co opted member on the working party set up by the scrutiny committee to look into TDC art and artifacts. I must admit I was staggered because for one I am not a member of Thanet District Council and I do not have a vote on the working party. He suggested that if I resign from the friends of the Margate Museum then I could sit on the working party.

What really surprised me was how on earth did he know I was on the executive of the friends group unless they are checking me out. Then I received this email from the chairman of the friends group of which I will quote the first sentence. 

"My reason for contacting you is that I have had a call from Democratic Services, re your post on Exec. Committee of Museum, it appears that they will not let you serve on the Scrutiny panel if you are still an exec member" 

So the the only conclusion I can draw from this is that they have been investigating my background. So what is the motive and why the heavy handed attitude from council officers ?

I welcome any comment.

4 comments:

tony flaig bignews said...

Since the Labour party is the political voice of the state sector you should know these things.


Thanet council officers just have that "we know best attitude" mixed with the arrogance and lack of accountability which had just lost the community £3,300000.

Ask your leader Clive whats more important, serving local residents or running the council.

Solo Gays said...

I did some Community Facilitation Training back in 2011 where I met some of the Friends of Margate Musuem. They seemed a bit stressed by a couple of councillors they were having to engage with.

When did the Friends come into existence?

Anonymous said...

I agree that it sounds a bit heavy handed. It's good that someone is taking such an active interest in the area and local assets so it's disappointing to hear how you've been treated.

I would have thought that they should have asked you whether you sit on any groups where there might be a conflict of interest if this was a potential problem.

If you've been investigated I wonder what power they used to do this as data protection is quite strict and also whether it's a valid use as it doesn't sound as though you've given permission for this to happen?

Don't let it knock you back though and please keep up all your good work.

Anonymous said...

Tony, as if any proof were needed on who really runs the council.

The councillors are a great distraction to the real 'minds' running the show.

What's needs is a chief exec from outside of local government to move in and systematically take the structure apart. It's not fit for purpose in the 21st century.