Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Monday, 11 March 2013

Latest piece of Sperm Whale bone find.


This photograph is one of the latest pieces of Sperm Whale bone I have found on the Pegwell Bay Hoverport site, Ramsgate, Kent. It measures 300 mm long and 40 mm at the widest point and is a result of the disposal of the carcass of the Sperm Whale that beached itself in Pegwell Bay in March 2011. I found it in the Autumn of 2012 and it had been laying in silt for over 18 months.
The honeycomb effect is far different from the previous pieces of dense Whale bone that I found in abundance in 2011 and I am not sure which part of the whale it is from.
 I have washed it in fresh water and have dried it naturally as not to damage any data it may hold. It will eventually end up in one of the licensed collections of Sperm Whale bone recovered from the stranding and they  are located at the Monkton Natural History reserve and at the Wingham Wildlife Park.

No comments: