Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Friday, 8 March 2013

Amber - the hunt continues


These past few weeks I have turned my attention to  hunting Amber and Amber Gris . On average I am now finding two or three pieces of Amber a trip mostly measuring in the 10 to 15 mm range with colours ranging from butterscotch, honey and dark. There is now a noticeable change in the flotsam with whelk egg sacs, mermaids purses and dog fish egg sacs present on the strand line  This is proving useful as it helps me measure where the Amber is more likely to be deposited. Another interesting find that is turning up on the shore are European sea cowrie shells but I am leaving them as I find them as my focus is entirely Amber and Amber Gris.This year I am better prepared than previous years as I have bought a load of sample tubes with screw on lids to store the Amber. Hopefully this year  I should keep better control recording  and grading what I find. It may sound as if I am making a meal out of this but I have had days when I have found thirty plus pieces and by the end of a month I have a container of the stuff and end up forgetting where I found some of it.
Thanks to you tube and Google I have been looking around world looking at how Amber is found on other coastlines. I am fascinated at the way it is retrieved elsewhere from the sea and I certainly like this Danish method of netting Amber and it does have possibilities. At the same time I have also been looking a Whale standings, Whale bone finds and Amber Gris finds on the internet.
 One thing I picked up on a forum was just how strict the CITIES convention is being enforced throughout the world regarding items from Whales. It appears in America some guy obtained a container of Spermaceti oil that would be classed as antique by today's standards before any conventions where made. However he dispensed it into small containers and tried to sell it. His enterprise earned him a $2000 fine.
Recently I came across another chip of Whalebone from the Sperm Whale stranding two years ago at Pegwell Bay from when the carcass was cut up with chain saws so when I get a few more pieces I will have to inform Natural England.

1 comment:

Stylishimoarts said...

Really enjoying your blog Tony. It seems like every time I research something I've found on Thanet beaches, on google, your blog pops up... And so it should, as it's well written and very interesting. Keep up the good work!

I write a beachcombing / nature blog called 'wild treasures', which if you are interested can be found in my profile link. (I won't spam your blog with my url)