Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Tuesday, 19 February 2013

The Amber season


There are very few finds on the Thanet coastline that can be classed as seasonal. One such find are the small pieces of Baltic Amber that appear on certain "hot spots" on the foreshore this time of the year.Even though   Amber can to be found all year round it generally tends to be the larger pieces that are very few and far between.
This time of year is when the smaller pieces can be found in quantity. I am not sure what really causes this but I do know the wind and tides that bring it in and where to find it. Finds are nowhere near on par with the Amber found on the Baltic coastline but what I do find has a genuine Thanet provenance. Over the years I have just collected it and never made anything with it . However, few years back I gave a collection to Sarah at the Grotto for display and I do have some in the Margate Museum.
This year I will be setting my sites on finding  Ambergris so I expect I will come across more Amber and associated items.

No comments: