Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Saturday, 13 October 2012

There's plenty more fish in the sea.

Today (13/10/12) I had a good look at all the items I have on loan in the Margate Museum including all the  items I have found on the beaches. It has been my intention for some while to donate a large part of my collection to the Margate Museum for display , for hands on and for the permanent collection. Considering that everything of mine in the Museum has been found within a half mile radius of the Margate Museum or has a strong Margate provenance I am sure it will be a historical asset to the town.
Since last week my find rate is back to the level as it was in late spring . So I decided now is the time to donate most of the collection to the Museum should they want it. The only exception being all the earthenware as I need to go through the earthenware bottles and  shards as  I am making dating and collecting earthenware my winter search project in the Margate harbour area. In the past I have found pieces of Bellarmine Flagon in Margate Harbour dating from the latter half of the 1600's so I am confident this will work.

My other project is Georgian Margate, and the intention is to from a portable collection of finds dating from 1714 to 1830 of items found in the Margate area including Georgian items of local origin with a weak provenance. I have started to record  the few Georgian items I have so far, I have brought label holders and printed display labels to go with these items. The items once recorded are going to be boxed up with the labels and stored. The intention is to have a collection that can be readily displayed at short notice. It will take time to build the collection and it is early days but in theory I would eventually be able to kit out one or even two of the rooms of  a building like the Tudor House within an hour providing they have display cabinets.

As for Victorian, Edwardian and the rest of the 20th Century finds.Most of the finds this winter from these era's will go direct to the Museum  as I find them, that is providing the Museum will accept them .However, I will keep a small token collection of duplicates of what the Museum already has for my own pleasure.


No comments: