Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Tuesday, 23 October 2012

That rustic appeal

Following on from my previous posting I am now sourcing earthenware bottle finds from further around the coast especially those recovered further out to sea. This gem was picked up in fishing nets our side of the channel, however the exact chart position is unknown.
The bottle is an earthenware two tone one pint porter and has that wonderful  straight out of the sea look about it. Impressed close to the base is the name POWELL which was a pottery company in Bristol up until 1906 when it amalgamated with one of its rivals.

I am just amazed how one side of the bottle is encrusted in barnacles to such an extent that they have become fused to the bottle. A bottle in this condition is common to the Thanet coastline but a complete find like this is still very difficult to come by.

My local earthenware project is now starting to gain momentum as I am now including other peoples finds into my collection. Recently I saw a large collection of found vulcanite bottles stoppers, something I haven't seen for a long time.It was interesting just to pick through them identifying local names that have long gone. Among the more common bottle stoppers were some obscure like Duckett  Trinity Square Margate which after after a quick browse through local directories I found originated from the Rose in June pub in the area.

No comments: