Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Wednesday, 4 July 2012

Captain Scorpion

It does make a change exploring a different coastline even though it may be thousands of miles away from home. In this case my chosen destination was the Playa del Carmen  beaches Yucatan province Mexico.
I have done this area before so I was eager to add my collection of previous finds, plus for once I had a decent camera so I could photograph larger finds.
I was even fortunate that there was a hurricane passing through  the  Gulf of Mexico and that had a dramatic effect on the sea. In turn all the weird and wonderful started to appear on the strand line. including this piece of driftwood I photographed. It was fascinating watching these barnacles move as I picked up the lump of wood.
These barnacles were on everything coming ashore including pieces of plastic. Other finds included many sea shells and there was enough coral to fill a skip.
I did venture into the Mayan Jungle the objective was to snorkel part of the under water system of caves in the area. These caves have magnificent stalactites and the depth is darkness and  overall the site is awesome. While I was changing into my harness to abseil down a cave shaft I trod on a scorpion and the little sod stung me. I could feel this adrenalin rush and our Mayan guide told me that my tongue will start to feel numb as he prepared this ball of mud and leaves to apply on the area where I had been stung. I was not bricking it as my thoughts reflected back to the days of British India when a Brit was bitten by a snake the cure was lashings of Gin and Tonic. Therefore I could be in for a couple bottles of tequila on the house.
Fortunately or unfortunately the Mayan cure of mud and leaves worked and I just carried on and had to forgo the Tequila. However, the rest of our group were Americans and for the rest of the day they named me Captain Scorpion something that seemed to stick for the rest of the holiday.

No comments: