Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Monday, 27 February 2012

Admiral Lord Keith tunnel

I have received this email can anybody help.


Hi there,

I’m a researcher on the BBC2 programme Coast and I was hoping you could help me. I’m trying to find out more about the story that Admiral Lord Keith built a tunnel from his grounds at George VI park to the beach so he could get on his boat and travel out to sea. Do you know much about that? Or would you be able to point me in the direction of someone who does know? My phone number is 0121 567 6288, or if you’d like to email me your phone number then I can call you.

Any time you could spare would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Denise Glass

Researcher

Coast

BBC Vision, Level 10, The Mailbox, Birmingham, B1 1RF

Tel: +44 (0)121 567 6288


denise.glass@bbc.co.uk

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi

There's a bit of information here showing the bricked up entrance to the cave and it shows on the old maps. Never found much more than a few brief mentions of it than we got on this page

http://thanetunderground.blogspot.com/2007/03/eastcliff-caverns.html

I remember historian Bill Lapthorne from Broadstairs saying to me that rifle club 'acquired' some explosive of some sort that they blew up some of the tunnel to form the end of the rifle range. After the blast some children clambered up it through the rubble !!

Tony Beachcomber said...

Annon, thank you for that.