Stormy Margate

Stormy Margate

Monday, 12 December 2011

A little history of parking in Birchington.

When parking charges were first introduced in Birchington there was total uproar. The proposal was to charge 20 pence for half hour parking, the idea being to free up parking spaces and prevent people leaving cars parked all day in prime parking positions during the peak shopping periods.
At the time I was a Labour councillor on TDC representing a Margate ward and at the time I more or less got the picture of what was going on and just left it at that until it appears on an agenda.
A few weeks after this became public knowledge there was was full council meeting and this item was not on the agenda. So I as I turned up to this meeting I could see a crowd outside the main doors and noticed some of the other councilors were entering the building via the car park entrance. So I just carried on walking through the crowd not realising the local Tories had organised a protest against the parking charges. I was right in the middle of the crowd when someone spotted my agenda for the meeting which was under my arm. Catching me unawares he shouted "are you a councillor!" and like a mug I replied "yes". There was this deadly silence as he asked me what I thought about the parking charges in Birchington and like an idiot I told him I didn't know much about it. That was it, they went mad. Some old lady hit me over the back of the head with a placard, some were shouting and this bloke who was doing most of the shouting squared up to me with his nose almost touching mine, I thought it was hilarious.
However the moral of this story is, as I have found out, is that people in Birchington can be very passionate about their parking.

3 comments:

John Worrow said...

Interesting, thanks for that Tony!

Anonymous said...

Tony,

I was part of that demonstration, They were not Tories, but residents of Crescent road, who were opposed to Residents Parking. If you want the full details ask Richard Nicholson or Barry Coppock. They were the ones who introduced the scheme.

Anonymous said...

hehehe...Iknow Worrows REAL views on animal welfare and the Labour Group!!!Should make interesting reading soon. I think Cllr Driver knows a thing or two about him too!!!!