Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Wednesday, 2 November 2011

Autumn beach shards - a new hobby for some ?

November is always my favourite time of year just walking along the main sands at Margate picking up shards and pieces of worn beach glass. This autumn the beach is sloping well as it generally does when we experience still autumn weather. This morning I walked the beach below the high water line walking from one end of the beach to the other gradually working my way down.
In total I picked up 147 shards of earthenware, china and pottery excluding glass.
As mentioned earlier three pieces were of special interest. However, the main interest and enjoyment is dating finds. There is no monetary value attached to anything as the value is entirely historical and each piece is authentic Margate and represents our seaside history. With the recent planned sea defence works I have upped my game collecting beach shards because I know the beach will change and this is the time to record finds before the event, then during and then after. The potential to build a meaningful substantial collection is there and it is all free. My collection will eventually be on public display. This Alfred Meakin piece from today's little haul is dated around 1907 to 1914, thanks to google.

For anyone looking for a new hobby ( or something to do with bored kids) there is no better time than to start now, and if anyone does find a piece of interest please email me or contact the Margate Museum.

4 comments:

Peter Checksfield said...

Any idea when the sea defence works start exactly? I thought it was going to be in October.

Tony Beachcomber said...

Peter, I don't only rumour, we will know when the harbour arm temporary closes.Anyway not such a bad thing as the margate museum are planning something to coincide with the work and it gives us time.Also the museum is hoping people that find thins on the beach, no matter how small will bring it in out of interest.
Wouldn't it be great if like Canterbury when they have the beginings of building works it becomes a tourist attraction, remember the big dig . I suppose we need a name for the dig to band about on the interent to raise the profile and interest.

Peter Checksfield said...

As it's Margate they'll probably try to market it as an "art" event...

Tony Beachcomber said...

Lol, I like that