Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Saturday, 22 October 2011

A Ramsgate situation

Today I had a look at the Shipwreck Heritage Museum at Hastings mostly out of interest and perhaps to get an idea on layout for my forthcoming Margate sands project which is coinciding with the sea defence works due to take place there soon. Going through the artefact's I was surprised to see a cannon recovered off the coast of Ramsgate on display in the Hastings Shipwreck Museum. Obviously it is up to the owner of the cannon to decide where he would like to display his find, and I respect that. However I thought I would never see the day when a recent find from Ramsgate would be on display at another seaside town other than Margate. In a way it just about sums how the heritage side of things is going in Ramsgate .
I know there is the forthcoming tunnels project, but this project is still very much in its infancy and deep down I think more still needs to be done to conserve Ramsgate's other history which we have already got. I am sure as I speak there are active people out there with the same concerns actually doing something about it. So what am I prepared to do you may ask ?
Some readers of the my blog probably think that I live in Margate because of the Margate content. Well actually I live in Ramsgate and I have been a Labour town councillor for almost six months.
During this past six months I have been learning all I can about Ramsgate artwork and artefacts. It has not been easy as I have started from bare bones however I do have experience in this subject regarding Thanet overall. In the next few weeks I am hoping to get something I have written up on the next Ramsgate Town Council meeting to commit the RTC to play an active role in conserving Ramgate's forgotten heritage by having a long term objective to hold a collection of art and artefacts on behalf of the people of Ramsgate. This is something that will not happen overnight, nor will it commit the council to finance someone's hobby, it is about being in a position to accept donation and bequests of meaningful and relevant art and artefacts for the town and stop them going elsewhere. It will also could mean laying claim to former asset's of the historic Borough of Ramsgate.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing as RTC can learn from other mistakes in the past, and is in no hurry so everything could be carefully planned and thought out which is a bit of luxury for local government these days.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Surely the point here is that you were able to visit the museum in Hastings! Try that in Ramsgate or Margate!!!!!!!!!!
Also, you must've noticed the spotless public toilets nearby - if Hastings, which is also in the midst of regeneration can do it, why not the Thanet towns?
Maybe their councils actually DO things instead of passing the buck and delaying every positive decision until the issue goes away.
Col -Margate

Readit said...

Some of us are trying to do things for Ramsgate but we need to regenerate the community spirit first.

In2thanet.blogspot.com/2011/10/what-kind-of-town-do-you-want-to-live.html

There is a lot of goodwill out there but in needs channeling into positive effort

Anonymous said...

Readit

Try doing things for Ramsgate and the politicians/officers at TDC will actively kick it in the long grass to safeguard their pet Margate projects.

Tony Beachcomber said...

Annon, From the early 1990's to 2007 the Ramsgate Maritime Museum received over £1 million in grant from TDC.The end result being a closed Maritime Museum.
Over at Margate, the Museum has reopened manned entirely by volunteers with every single person working together for the Museum. This has very little cost to TDC and it works.The reason why it works is because so many people have come together to make it work.
Personaly, I find things at Ramsgate amongst the non political elite too factionalized and hard work.
That is why I got myself elected to the town council to get into an arena where I can make a difference.

Tony Beachcomber said...

Readit, thanks for the link.