Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Thursday, 21 July 2011

The bone collector

This morning I donated a large part of my collection of bone pieces I recovered from the Sperm Whale that was stranded at Pegwell Bay in March this year to the Monkton Natural History collection. This perhaps the only tangible evidence we have in Thanet of the stranding and it now on public display along with display material of the event. The collection was salvaged from bone fragments when the whale was cut up with chainsaws on the Pegwell Bay Hover port slipway. Some parts I have managed to identify within reason, some I have cut and shaped to emphasize the bone structure. The smaller pieces I have made into arrowheads, needles and trinkets similar to how our ancestors would have utilized from a stranding in the past.

The collection is licensed with Natural England and subject to CITIES regulations as whalebone is covered by the same legislation as wild Elephant ivory.

No comments: