Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Thursday, 9 June 2011

Ramsgate from the East Pier

I was very fortunate this morning to look at the civic collection of artwork held by Ramsgate Town Council. Even though it is small and I mean small and I know the reason why.
I was taken by this print drawn by J Styles surveyor , 61 High street , Ramsgate, dated 24th September 1830. It reads as follows "Dedicated by permission to the Chairman & Deputy Chairman of the board of directors, of the Royal Harbour & Commissioners of the town as Faithful representation of the same in the year 1830",The printed is engraved by R.G Reeve, 3 Gough Square. coloured by Baldwin and printed by P.R. Tomkins.
Some time ago I made a rough DVD of the collection at the maritime museum held in the clock house on the harbour. In it are 11 prints and water colours loaned to the museum by TDC, this print is also featured in that collection and the only difference is that the TDC one is coloured. It be noted that once upon a time all these prints were the property of the Borough of Ramsgate until 1974 when they were transferred to TDC. However, it does appear that items that once belonged to Ramsgate and transferred to TDC have not been very well looked after and as I mentioned in a previous posting the items loaned recently by TDC to RTC do have that look as if they have been hanging up in a garden shed . I have even found out that when the artwork was delivered to RTC by TDC they were stacked in a heap the back of a van without being wrapped in bubble wrap. Since being elected to the Ramsgate Town Council I have not been hanging about on this issue of Ramsgate art and artefact's and I have been pulling research items off the Internet and from my researched archive to take this issue forward.
On this point I should mention how I am impressed by the Ramsgate history Forum.As a Ramsgate town councillor I will take this issue of Ramsgate's art and artefact's forward preferably working with interested parties, however if I have to do this alone then so be it.

No comments: