Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Friday, 17 June 2011

Parish relief

Like most history leaning blogs in Thanet, I receive enquiries related to Thanet's history. On most occasions I deal with them fairly easily, however on occasions I receive a few that to be honest do leave me scratching my head. This little gem relating to rural Thanet in the mid 19th century is one that falls into that category and is described as follows and will be up for sale "a fantastic old document relating to the Isle of Thanet Agricultural Association est 1836. The document was presented to a "John Gregg" and dated 1848 for"bringing up six children receiving only 8 shillings parochial relief".

The enquiry is from a presenter of a BBC television programme and if anyone can help with information or is interested in the item I will forward you the programme and other details.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tony
Although I cannot tell you anything about the Agricultural Association, I have a very similar certificate but given to Thomas Danton in 1858, awarding him a prize of £3 for bringing up 7 children .
Tony Lee

Tony Beachcomber said...

Thanks, Tony