Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Monday, 30 May 2011

A visit to Monkton

Yesterday (Sunday) I visited the Monkton Nature Reserve to deliver 49 pieces of Whalebone for their collection. Which hopefully once legal ownership is determined I will be able to gift my entire collection to their natural history museum. It is also fortunate that they are having some school field trips coming up of which my collection will be a welcome addition. However, I decided to keep two large pieces which are being left to nature at present in my compost bin until they are in a suitable condition to be exhibited.
I found the Monkton natural history collection interesting, taking a interest in the marine collection. Even though the marine collection was small it was still impressive with items like Sperm Whale teeth, Whale vertebrae, bottle nose Dolphin vertebrae and a flipper of a bottle nose Dolphin recovered from Folkestone on display. I should point out that the flipper did not come from "Dave" the missing friendly bottle nose Dolphin who lived in the waters off the Folkestone inshore coast a few years back.

1 comment:

Ken Gregory said...

Tony, you shold have popped in for a bevvy..Ken