Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Thursday, 12 May 2011

Unidentified bone ?



Other people's finds on the Thanet coast always interests me and this little gem is no exception. It is a piece of unidentified bone found on Westbrook Beach by Timothy Kirby. From the photograph posted it is definitely a piece of vertebrae and the identity of the animal does remain a mystery. I do like the lovely weathered beach look of the bone which does set it of. As mentioned in previous postings I have set myself up a little project to collect bone and teeth from the Thanet coastline this late spring and into the summer. However, I would still love to hear from anyone who has also found similar finds.


Yesterday I received a email from Natural England the body that licenses the ownership of derivatives from European endangered species. My aim is to obtain legal ownership of the pieces of Sperm Whale bone retrieved from Pegwell Bay. I had to give a submission as to why they should granted me a license stating my intentions . I have this awful feeling that I could lose the lot however I have stated that I would like everything to go to a local Thanet museum which has been my intention all along. I do find it strange that every man and his dog has been able to pick up pieces of bone from the site and the clearance of the site has not been exactly thorough. Yet according to Government regulations it is illegal to own Sperm Whale without a licence.

No comments: