Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Thursday, 19 May 2011

First night at the RTC.

Last night was my first meeting at the Ramsgate Town Council which was a friendly affair as the only thing missing was a cup of tea and a packet of ginger biscuits. Dave Green was elected Mayor , Pat Moore was elected deputy Mayor and Richard Nicholson was elected to look after the purse strings. As for myself I am on the planning committee and on the twinning committee.
Most of the meeting was about elections to committees and accepting committee meeting reports which are formalities as most council business is decided at committee stage. Ralph Hoult stepping down as Deputy Mayor and Councilor gave a report on his civic activities for the past year, rounding off with an I’ll be back theme. Which I thought was a good little piece until I realized that I beat Ralph by only sixty odd votes.
Not all council business is interesting, even for us committed folk, so sometimes I do have the attention span of a gnat. So as the venue was all new to me and I took in the surroundings. Even though the Council Chamber had been restored to perfection there were very few items relating to Ramsgate’s past that have provenance to be seen. The Mayor’s chair that resembled old sparky that was supporting Dave Green was perhaps the oldest item.
I often think that for a town the size of Ramsgate there does not appear to be many historic items anywhere in the public domain. I know that the fire at the library took a terrible toll but there just seems to be so many gaps. On the archive side there is no shortage of information and a tour of Michael’s book shop can confirm that. Prints, paintings, work of art and artifacts are something I will look into as a Town Councilor.
Finally, the meeting passed a resolution opposing the export of live animals through Port Ramsgate and by the tone of the meeting I would think some councilors may join a peaceful demonstration.

3 comments:

Michael Child said...

Tony any help I can give you on the public display of local history I will. Any chance you could find out what TDC are doing about getting the maritime museum open?

Anonymous said...

So Ramsgate Town Council passes a motion about live animal exports. Gesture politics that make you all feel good. Talking about motions how about passing a motion about the motions of the filthy pigeons that are fouling the stairs and walkways at Ramsgate station. How about getting something done about that!

Laurence Davies

Anonymous said...

What is the position of the RSPCA on live animal exports? Are they transported to their standards? If I objected to this I'd be giving up meat too. I tend to agree with the guy above, gesture politics.