Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Friday, 15 April 2011

Sea bones.

Now that all remants of the winter are behind us and the May water starts to appear, the strandline around Thanet changes significantly as the weather becomes more settled. As the water temperature rises there are very few deaths of marine life, resulting in really not much to found in way of marinelife. However, there are still other things to be found from the sea such as bone that has come ashore off the sea bed and I am not talking about last weeks KFC thrown off the Margate Harbour Arm. The bone in question could be bone from whales, dolphins or seals. Also from sea birds, humans and mammals that has found its way into the sea and in many cases is many years old. Each winter all around the coast bone comes ashore off the sea bed and is deposited on the beaches only to be buried then uncovered again and so on. This March the stranding of the Sperm Whale in Pegwell and the operation to dispose of it left many Sperm Whale bone fragments around the old Hoverport slipway. I do have some in my possession and for anyone who follows by blog on a regular basis will know that I am awaiting the outcome as to whether I can keep it. This does not mean everything has to come to a halt as I am experimenting carving it and researching old bone carvings. I am now looking into collecting other bone types from the sea to carve and to collect out of interest which is going to be my project for this summer. Perhaps I mat even be lucky enough to find someone who can do something artistic it with it.

No comments: