Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Sunday, 24 April 2011

The Pegwell Bay whale bone collection

As many followers of my blog will know that I have been salvaging bone from the Sperm Whale stranding in Pegwell Bay in March of this year. Following six weeks of assessing what can be achieved, I am posting the collection as it stands. Every piece of bone pictured has been salvaged from bone splinters that remained on the Pegwell Bay hoverport slipway after the Whale had been cut up with a chain saw and pulled to pieces by a JCB.
The bone shapes created are not out of choice but are dictated by the splits and fractures in the bone caused by the disposal process. I have made a few arrow heads and a few needles, but the collection will remain as it is until I can get some idea the legal position of owning the bone. In the meanwhile I hope to get the collection on public display in the coming week.

No comments: