Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Saturday, 16 April 2011

A day out at the Turner Center


Today was a day when it was bums on seats as today was the day when the Turner Center opened. Everywhere around the harbour right through to the old town was busy, there was even a 20 minute queue to get in to the Turner Center.

I was really taken by the Turner Center and it was nice to be reunited with a old friend, that being the painting of Margate from the Jetty by James Webb that was once on display in the entrance at Margate Library now on loan from Thanet District Council.

I liked the spaciousness of the Turner Center and I liked most of the art on display especially the work of Ellen Harvey. I took a few photographs of the sea view from inside the Turner Center and in the one pictured the tidal gauge that now occupies the site of the former Margate Jetty can be seen. Out of interest the reading from the tidal gauge can be picked up on the Internet on the Port of London Authority web site.

The old town was vibrant and there was a buzz in the air with shops full of people. The Margate Museum was open and manned by volunteeers and in the morning the attendance had already past 500. It particularly nice to see a former curator John Williams doing what he does best at the Museum.

Overall today was a day when a lot of peoples eyes were opened as to what Margate is really about and long may it last.

6 comments:

ascu75 aka Don said...

I love your pictures Simon. I am delighted the gallery is finally open and I am delighted the museum opened again. I hope the funnding is available to keep it open.

Tony Beachcomber said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tony Beachcomber said...

Don, We have to thank TDC's Chris Tull for organising the volunteers that opened the museum over a very important weekend which added a something to do event for the occassion.
Overall, the opening of the museum hardly cost TDC a bean and as it stood the museum was good. However, there is still a lot to do and improvements can be made, but then this will be all down to the incoming TDC administration and the councillors we elect.
I do think we need a political change at TDC or a different sense of direction from the new councillors.

Anonymous said...

What we need is abolish TDC altogether. What they do is much too cosy and invisible.

Anonymous said...

Wish I could've been there to see it. My daughters and wife visited it and enjoyed their time there, my eldest daughter is studying Art. It will be one of the first places I visit when I come home on leave from Afghanistan in July.

ascu75 aka Don said...

05:38 Keep safe and come home to your family soon.