Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Tuesday, 8 March 2011

Pegwell Bay Whale - After the Whale survey 2

This morning (08/03/11) I went back to the site where the beached Sperm Whale was cut up on the old Pegwell Bay hoverport slipway. This time I concentrated on the base of the slipway where the tracks of the JCB's that brought the Whale to the slipway are still clearly visible in the mud. Like the left side of the slipway Whale fat and bone fragments were everywhere to be seen. I did come across a large piece of the Whale's innards which were bobbing about in the water and as I stepped on the innards all this grey like fat came oozing out. I am not to sure which part of the Whale it came from but I was amazed how rubbery and resilient the whole thing was.
I took two photographs for those of you who may be interested and I have kept a large tyre in the photograph to give some idea of scale.

No comments: