Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Sunday, 20 March 2011

Article 10


To days high tide 20/03/11 was especially high and I expect the last of the Whale blood on the Pegwell Bay hover port slipway will now be washed off by the tide taking with it all remnants of Whale fat off the rocks. As mentioned in a previous posting my tally of white Whalebone is expecting to weigh in at less than 10 Kilo as some pieces are still being drained of blood and fat.
Somehow I do feel that I am probably the only person in Thanet that has something tangible from the Whale that at some point in the distant future will qualify as a museum piece as a natural history specimen. However, not all my pieces of bone are that good as an exhibit as they are splinters and fragments from when the Whale's carcase was cut up with a chainsaw to be dumped. I know that a dead Whale is a potential health hazard because due to the thick layers of blubber that insulates the Whale the rate of decomposition is rapid as inside the Whale is kept warm even after death. It is just that I am just really amazed that after the scientists took the specimens they required that nothing was removed and kept for local interest and it was just cut up and dumped like rubbish on landfill. Then this is Thanet after all I suppose.
A beached Whale is exceptionally rare and people are interested in this coastal story as 1500 page views on my first Whale posting does confirm. Such a incident tells the story of the Coast and the incident is now part of our history an I expect there must be many photographs of the Whale that will surface in many years to come.
From my side of things I do have this Whalebone which I need to utilise, so to check the legal position of owning pieces of a protected species, I am now checking with the Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs the correct course of action as part of the EU CITES agreement article 10 that regulates derivatives from protected species. That even includes the Whale oil that I have.
Working with the bone is so easy and came be shaped well, it has this nice waxy feel and does polish up well. I have now given a few small pieces to someone doing a repair to a old guitar plus I have given small rectangular pieces to someone making Runes, plus to see how well it can also be engraved and carved.

No comments: