Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Friday, 4 February 2011

Ramsgate main sands survey 3



Following on from the previous survey Ramsgate main sands 2, today (03/02/11) I focused on the shingle bank that had appeared up against the East Pier wall.
For the past few days the sea has been settled and the strandline has remained in one position. Therefore the seaward side of the shingle was now being eaten away by the high tide creating a ledge which I do find perfect conditions for finding fossils. I have posted a photograph which illustrates it very well.
I am not a geologist so my knowledge of fossils is basic , however I do know that the main sands is renowned for the pieces of fossilized clam that can be found anywhere on the beach. It was amongst the shingle bank I was hoping to find a large piece of fossilized clam attached to flint and believe it or not I found a piece.
I have taken a photograph of my trophy and used a 9 volt Duracell battery to give some idea of scale. Although it is not complete it does give some idea of the shape and size of the clam, plus the ridges of the clam are still visible.
After the fossil hunt I walked the full length of the strandline and it was noticeable how clean the sand was and there was hardly any litter washed up. The only items of any note were some fishing net from a trawl and pieces of orange marker buoys. There were no winter kill just clusters of empty dogfish egg sacs here and there, probably amounting to about 250 individual egg sacs on the full length of the strandline.
I did look for small pieces of solidified oil and found none which is not surprising as the actions of the wind and tide is so different to Epple Bay.
Finally, great forecast this weekend SW gales hitting the channel.

No comments: