Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Sunday, 30 January 2011

Clean beaches.


Recently I rejoined the Marine Conservation Society and this afternoon was spent reading all the information they had sent me. This included many reports and findings, like Botany Bay is the most visited bay on their good beach guide website, another MCS fact is that a crisp packet disposed of at Ramsgate can end up off the coast of Norway .
During the MCS beach watch weekend in 2010 they managed to mobilise 4,000 volunteers to clean 300 beaches, and there are many reports on the beach litter found including a sawn off shotgun found in the Thames Estuary. Top of the list of the debris washed ashore nationaly is plastic and the effects plastic has on the marine environment when it breaks down into small particles. On the two beaches on my patch the Western Undercliff and Ramsgate Main Sands, I must admit that the levels of plastic are low. Probably due to the fact that both beaches are very tidal and there is never much of a build up of litter on the strandline.
It is almost a year since I became a coastal warden and it is very noticable the amount of items that appear on my patch that have been lost at sea by the fishing industry, like this gill net that is on Ramsgate Main Sands at present , photographed above. At present the floats have been cut off and some of the leadline has been stripped, but give it a couple of days and I will remove it.
As mentioned it is a year since I took on Western Undercliff and Ramsgate Main Sands . During that time I have been gradually going over the beach piece by piece very much as I did at Margate between the main sands and up as far as Foreness Point which easily took over twenty years.
As mentioned in the previous posting Ramsgate main sands is very tidal shifting items items around the beach when the sea is rough. Considering the East Pier is a popular fishing spot I have now worked out where lost fishing tackle seems to end up . It is nothing compared to the two tonnes of lead weights recovered off Deal many years ago but it is handy when I feel like doing a bit of metal detecting.

No comments: