Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Sunday, 23 January 2011

Beachcombing Pegwell Bay

Today I had a look at Pegwell Bay, Ramsgate to take a few photographs for my records plus to gather some information for Beachcombers both nationally and internationally. Pegwell Bay is a site of specific scientific interest , however in one area of the bay which is situated to the left of the old Hoverport runway is perhaps the worst place for beach litter on the Thanet Coast. Brought in by the tide from Sandwich Bay the combination of weed and litter originates from the English Channel and from the photograph it is not a pretty site. The site is regularly cleaned by volunteers who's efforts are undervalued because without their efforts the view would look even worse. From a Beachcombers perspective this a interesting site as many items for on the strandline originate from
most member states of the European Union and some of it has been in the sea for a long time.

Today I came across some sea coal which is common on the Thanet Coast this time of the year of which I photographed. However, the reason for my visit was to take a look at the Winter kill on the strandline.Surprisingly there was no evidence of crab deaths, especially the Velvet Swimmer crabs that died in their masses on the Ramsgate, Broadstairs and Margate foreshore a month ago. This was probably due to the fact that there isn't a Velvet Swimmer population in the Bay. I did find evidence of Winter kill of one resident of the Bay and that was the Cockle. Like the Western Undercliff further along the coast the Winter kill was consistant with what I would expect to see washed up on the strandline this time of the year, So for the record I have taken a photograph incase there is a reoccurance or a pollution alert in the near future.

2 comments:

Marty BoneIdol said...

I used to take a walk along that area years ago when my father worked at the hoverport. It's definitely an interesting site.

ascu75 aka Don said...

Tony I have never been on that beach I often do to the nature reserve a bit further along and eat bacon rolls and drink tea under the guise of bird watching but my scooter wont get onto the beach so I stick to tarmacrd tracks now.