Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Sunday, 19 December 2010

A human bone ?

I know this is not the best of photographs, but I do believe I have a piece of human bone in my hand. If I have judged correctly I have found a 1st Metatarsal from a human left foot.
The piece of bone was found last Sunday at St Mildreds Bay (12/12/10), Westgate on Sea close to the site of bronze age finds at St Mildreds Bay which were discovered in 1988. I know the piece of bone is no way connected with the site as I am sure the piece of bone came in on the North Easterly backed tide. The only clue I have of the origins from where it may have come from is by smelling the bone as it has that distinct smell associated with items that have originated from the off shore mud / clay beds.
For anyone interested in the Bronze age site at St Mildreds Bay , Westgate on Sea I can give you a reference, which is page 243 Volume 105 of Archaeoligia Cantiana 1988 in a article by Dave Perkins. Margate library has a copy in the local studies section.
With the on set of Winter I have started collecting any bones and teeth amongst the other finds from the Thanet beaches. I will list the finds later in the spring.

2 comments:

ascu75 aka Don said...

Maybe you can sell the bone to a premier league footballer as a spare? Just a thought.

Tony Beachcomber said...

Don, it is such a thick solid piece of bone it does make me wonder how footballers manage to break them.