Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Wednesday, 15 December 2010

Driftwood Art.


If the weather is to be as predicted with the return of the bitter cold weather and northerly winds, the conditions for a bit of beachcombing on the Thanet beaches between Christmas and the New Year will be ideal. I always take a interest in everything I find by researching, displaying, collecting and utilising. This includes driftwood, as I like the worn smooth twisted shape of worm infested wood. I collect many pieces because I like them and that is as far as it goes as I am not really a artistic person. However, I am fascinated by other peoples work and recently I attended a coastal wardens meeting at the Royal Albion Hotel in Broadstairs. On display in one of the rooms were some very interesting pieces of driftwood owned by the Hotel that is well worth a look.
Driftwood art is something that has been going on for years, works of art and even the smallest pieces can be purchased on the Internet. Here in Thanet we are surrounded by the stuff and believe or not there is a bit of a market for the weird and wonderful pieces of driftwood like the pieces on display in the Albion Hotel. I not sure how many driftwood artists there are in Thanet if there is any at all, but a few days ago I came across this image in a file which I thought was rather clever. I do not know who the creator is or who owns the image, but it is clever.

1 comment:

ascu75 aka Don said...

Thats nice I love driftwood and miss my walks along the tide line . Thats why I spend so much time blogging, I get to see stuff I otherwise would not see anymore