Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Saturday, 20 November 2010

Margate Harbour 1779

A few posting back I made the comment that the history of
Margate is going through a period of rediscovery or a rennaisance as I like to call it. The reason I believe this is because of the amount of enquiries I now receive through my blog for information. Something I believe is due to the Turner Centre as I can see no other reason for it.
Some time back a television company researcher emailed me for info on Margate and the bathing machine for a programme they are making they even offered me a small fee. Obviously I was flattered, but I just told them copy what they like and if I can help I can see what I can do. Which is what I tell everybody because to be honest a large percentage of the articles and photographs on my blog archive came from Mick Twyman and it was always Mick's wish that all his work posted on my blog is for Margate.
Sorting through my postcards I came across this postcard purchased from the Margate Museum called a view of Margate Harbour from the "Shipwrights" which I am sure a lot of people have. However, there was a little piece written by Mick to accompany it and reads "This engraving was made by J .R Smith in 1779 and shows the Harbour crowded with coastal raders. As well as the Hoys there are two square rigged Barks, in front of the central one of which is a pointed stern barge with a spitsail rig, the earliest such depiction known of this type of craft this far south of the River Thames. Note all the bathing machine at work"

No comments: