Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Monday, 12 July 2010

A day on the beach


I recently had an interesting day on the beach as part of a feature on the Thanet Coast for the Kent Life magazine. Following a telephone interview about beachcombing and my views on the Thanet Coast their photographer turned up on Friday for a photo shoot. I had a choice of any part of the coast for the photo shoot, so taking into consideration that choosing Margate or Cliftonville would be far to easy I chose my newly adopted patch at the Western Under cliff Ramsgate which I survey for TDC's Thanet Coast project. It was more or less to proove to myself to see what I have actually learnt about the area since I became a coastal warden earlier this year. Even though I haven't completed a annual cycle on the site everything went well and I was able to pick out many interesting finds. I think the photographer may have thought at first that I had gone down the night before and deliberately put things down to find, but that was not the case. This is probably because the Western Under cliff is a very underrated place as there is always something to find if you know exactly where to look. I know I am not up to the standard of Alisdair Bruce , but I did manage to pick out a few fossils even though I do not know their names or age.
On the strandline I explained the features of the strandline , I found a piece of Copal resin which I gave to the photographer. I as found some European Cowries, unidentified all the different types of sea coal and found some other interesting shells.
Lower down I had a pick amongst the shingle and came across this tooth photographed with the 20 pence piece for scale. Something I would describe as awesome if I happened to be an American.

No comments: