Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Thursday, 3 June 2010

Walk about


Today was an ideal day for a "walk about" at the top of the mid day sun just following the strandline from North Foreland to Foreness Point. The most noticeable observation being the build up of mussel shells and the fragments of other shells on the strandline.
The chances of finding Amber, sea coal and everything associated with winter is now very remote as the strandline is soon to be dominated with sea shells, cuttle fish bones, sea weed and rubbish left by the beach visitors leaving very little to write about or collect.
So today I made a point of returning two diving weights to Kent Scuba in Northdown Road, these were the weights I found in the Walpole Bay tidal pool during the spring drainage. The weights had been lost in the pool for a number of years until I found them and I think they were a bit surprised to get them back. Which does prove a point that nothing is lost in the sea forever.
The photograph of the last remains of the Jetty, which was finally demolished in 1998 was sent to me by Charles Bates and it is one of the best I have seen. Before the demolition of the Jetty I was fortunate enough as a member of the TDC, to get a copy of the surveyors report and drawings this also included an underwater video of the sea bed and of the Jetty remains below the waterline which was very interesting. Like most things I have owned, I donated the information on the Jetty including the tape to the Margate Museum for public use. Which is now unfortunately closed.

No comments: