Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Tuesday, 13 April 2010

Chinese Mitten crab (another find)







This complete Chinese Mitten crab was found early this morning on the strandline at the Western Undercliff , Ramsgate. The crab which is female was barely alive and is carrying eggs, a Mitten crab can carry up to 1 million eaggs. I have taken a few photographs so readers can identify this invasive species which is now posing a threat to our native species in rivers and estuaries. If you do come across one please inform myself or the Thanet Coast Project who are collecting data on the sightings.

2 comments:

Richard Eastcliff said...

Yikes! You don't think it's a scouting party for the China Gateway, do you?!??!

Tony Beachcomber said...

Could be ECR, I trying to work out how I can preserve the crab. I can't put it in venegar as the acidity will disolve the shell. So it looks as if alcohol is the favourite, the theory being they brought Nelsons body in a barrel of Rum. So a bottle of cheap vodka from Iceland may do the trick for my crab.