Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Thursday, 18 March 2010

The draining of the Walpole Bay pool.







At low tide this morning (18th March 2009) the Walpole Bay tidal pool at Clifftonville, Margate was drained for maintenance checks on the sluice gates. Taking advantage of this opportunity, the pool was also surveyed by wardens from the Thanet Coast Project and others with an interest in Marine Life.
My interest was just to see what was there and just take some photographs of this unique event. As the draining of a pool of this size is just like draining a large aquarium most of the marine life has remained undisturbed by mankind or sheltered from the extremes of the elements. Probably the first and most noticeable thing was the large size of the oysters that had bedded themselves all around the pool wall with some being larger than the palm of my hand. Another interesting point was that the oysters appear to be of a different shape than those found at the Western Undercliff and Epple Bay, yet they are all the same species. I did take photographs of the oysters. I also took photographs of the surveyors recording the varieties of sponge growth on the pool walls which seem to be attracting a lot of interest. Not being read up on the subject I was still amazed at the different varieties and colours of the small sponges that could be clearly seen . Many of the rock pools had anemones in them some about 150mm across, there were also many hermit crabs to be found in the same pools. Lifting rocks Velvet Swimmer Crabs could be found, considering how harsh the winter had been on the Velvet Swimmer Crab popualtion these must have been the lucky ones being in the right place at the right time to escape exposure. I expect these crabs must have burrowed into the mud filled cracks in the pool walls to survive.
Scouting around I came across an old cart wheel which was about five feet across, I last came across this wheel thirty years ago and since then the last remaining spokes have now gone. To record the event I took a photograph. Other finds included two diving weights belonging to Kent Scuba which someone must have lost on a training session.

9 comments:

Fiona S said...

Fascinating. I wish I'd realised it was happening and I'd have been there.

Tony Beachcomber said...

Fiona,
Good, the next one is due sometime in September, I will notify you through facebook.

Lynn J said...

Tony Great stuff, must be there next time, with F and anyone else.

Peter Checksfield said...

I noticed this evening that the pool on Margate main beach has also been drained.

Anonymous said...

When I was 12 years old a shoal of herring was trapped at low tide much to the pleasure of local fisherman and locals alike .The sluice was openened to allow some water to escape and the fishermen and locals were able to catch large bags of herring which i did only to get put of the bus on my way home with my sack of herring leaking with the vibration of the bus and running from the luggage store under the stairs across the running board only to have a long walk home to Ramsgate. probably a bit of useless information but it is history

Tony Beachcomber said...

Thank you annon, I do like reading recollections of the time when a herring shoal was trapped in Walpole Bay pool.

ascu75 aka Don said...

I have lived here for nearly 30 years and only recall seeing them drain a pool once I must be more vigilant . Those oysters look a nice size Tony.

ascu75 aka Don said...

anon 11.24 REMINDS ME when younger we used to go Mackerel fishing at Dover by train and hump sacks full back to Faversham to be sold round the pubs in the evening.

Anonymous said...

I LOST MY TOY SUBMARENE IN THERE AT ABOUT THE AGE OF TWELVE. if anyone finds a lesser spotted torpedo fish let me know. lol true story.... jon margate...