Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Wednesday, 10 February 2010

Western Undercliff first survey







Today I carried out my first proper survey of the Western Undercliff , Ramsgate for the Thanet Coast Project. The snowfall did hamper things a bit as the strandline was completely covered, so I concentrated on just walking the low water mark and had to do a shortened survey. The first thing I couldn't help noticing was that the drain overflow pipes from the road and ferry terminal were discharging onto the beach, one of the pipes discharging from the road was particularly bad discharging black filth onto the sand which in the summer time would be a designated tourist beach. I have posted a photograph to prove it.

Further down the beach near the low water mark near the ferry terminal the receding tide had left a few patches of weed and small patches of coal dust. Normally ideal territory for finding Amber it was not to be, so I surveyed the amount of Dogfish egg cases instead and counted 27 that had all hatched. Walking from the terminal towards Pegwell Bay and around the groynes I did pick up some sea coal and a few sea shells for my new collection of the coast. I also counted 15 turnstones feeding in one area for the survey. On the end of one of the wooden groynes I came across a small ball of tangled netting which I removed and disposed of when I got home. Overall there wasn't really much to see and find.

Even though it was snowing it didn't really feel cold probably because I was so focused on what I was doing, that was until I saw a coin in a rock pool and realised the rock pool had a thin layer of ice on the surface as I put my hand in the water, now that is what I call cold.

5 comments:

ascu75 aka Don said...

yep that would be cold. well done that man

Millicent said...

That filthy effluent can't come just from the road so where does it come from? And more importantly - what is it?? I'm sure you'll find out for us

Anonymous said...

thank you, I find your notes/comments most interesting.............

Tony Beachcomber said...

Millicent, it is coming off the road it is what the slush has picked up from road vehicles.However,It seems a silly place to discharge surface water from the road as it shows very little thought for the environment.

The discharge from the ferry terminal is not as bad it looks cleaner, there is no black just a muddy appearance and it looks natural enough. But it is a strange place to have a outfall for all to see. I would have tucked it around the corner where it cannot be seen afterall it is only fresh water.

Tony Beachcomber said...

Thanks annon, I will pride myself on accuracy and detail. I will also use photographic evidence as much as possible for authentication.