Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Sunday, 21 February 2010

Today's survey at the Western Undercliff


It has been eleven days since I last surveyed the Western Undercliff, Ramsgate and since then one set of neap tides have past, the weather has become milder and the wind has changed from North East to South East then Southerly. Today the wind was a gentle Southerly probably about force three which was ideal for a survey as a new strandline would had been formed over the past few days. Today the mix of the strandline was very much different than previous, there was more weed and there was a mix of sea coal in the weed. Overall there was about a 100 metre of strandline to survey, many people who know the area well will confirm there is not much of a beach. I counted 15 whelk egg cases, 13 mermaid purses and 114 dog fish egg cases. The dog fish egg cases looked remarkably fresh which was pleasing as I knew they could not have been double counted from my previous survey. I did however take 67 home to give give them a more thorough examination and I can confirm all had hatched and they had recently come ashore.
Once completing surveying the strandline I collected a few shells and some sea coal for my collection of the coast and then started walking the low water mark from the ferry terminal towards the groyne. By the steps by the ferry terminal I came across some netting and rope that had come ashore and wrapped around the railings near the steps. This I removed and put in the black sack I always carry with me.

On the low water mark between the groynes the turnstones were feeding well in the shallow water picking amongst the small pieces of weed but today there wasn't as many as I counted only 16. Once past the groynes the rest of the western undercliff is rock covered in mussels which runs adjacent to the promenade. On the low water mark the rock then meets the sand and mud of the Pegwell Bay. Along this band of rock on the low water mark I counted 68 oyster catchers which is the most I have ever seen, I even counted them again in case I was making a mistake as I was counting their unmissable beaks from a distance, but I was right first time there was 68.
Returning back I walked below the promenade along the western undercliff rocks picking up anything that is a hazard to the marine enviroment now I had a bin bag on the go. As I always have a bin bag in my pocket , in future I will always make sure that when I do a survey I will at least pick litter up and not bring it back empty.
I did take a picture of the overflow drain that was discharging filthy black water onto the beach ten days ago in my previous survey , but this time it was dormant.

3 comments:

ascu75 aka Don said...

The steps look a lot better without the decorations.

Anonymous said...

weren't and were... not wasn't and was... grammar

ascu75 aka Don said...

anon 23:47 Dont ever read my comments or blogs if you are worried about grammar