Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Sunday, 7 February 2010

The rocks



This past set of low waters have certainly been an excellent opportunity to get amongst the rocks that form the artificial breakwater around the Port Ramsgate Terminal, something I have been meaning to do for a long while. As both arms of the terminal form part of my survey area as a volunteer coast warden it was a great opportunity to take some photographs and understand the rocks a bit better.
The rocks off the East Pier as you can see in the photograph on the left have this interesting clean rugged weathered look which was pleasing to the eye. There was very little marine life present except for patches of limpets achored on the rocks and the odd oyster here and there. Considering these rocks act as a barrier across the tide which I thought would act as a trap for flotsam and jetsom and I thought there could be something of interest wedged in amongst the rocks. However, there wasn't much to be found except for a couple of lost nets tangled around the rocks, I was not disappointed as I did savour the moment that I was so far out behind the East Pier something I won't be doing again for another six months.
On the other side the rocks on the Western Undercliff side were completely different, and as you can see from the photograph on the right they are weeded providing a substantial habitat for all forms of marine life. There was an abundance of oysters and limpets present. It was clear by the debris present that these rocks were acting as a trap for flotsam and jetsom and in almost every nook and cranny there was something to be found either natural or man made. In some cases it was lost netting which unfortunately is a hazard to marine life.
With the site of timber and other items higher up the rocks I started to get a bit adventurous as my curiosity got the better of me as I made my way up the rocks. That was the easy part as I was to find it was far more difficult getting back down again. I did manage to cover about 100 metres of rocks to get a fair idea what the rocks were about and gather enough info for future visits. My conclusion being that it is a great place to be after some extreme weather.
Like all beachcombing trips I always come away with my trophy , this time it was a lost mooring buoy.

No comments: