Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Tuesday, 2 February 2010

Margate fun fair


I recently came across this original pen drawing dated October 2nd 1936. The artist is seventeen year old Norman K Hardie and as you can see the title is "Margate fun fair". There are references to "Empire" and "Rearmanent" a topical theme at the time and there is a lady lying on the floor with a scarf titled agriculture and a bag lying alongside labelled policy which is obviously a political theme of the time as seen through Norman's seventeen year old eyes , which I admit is hard to understand. However, I find the drawing an excellent piece of social commentary from a teenager living in a era when the views and expressions of teenagers were largely ignored.

1 comment:

Suzannah said...

I quite like this. I looked into Norman and he was born 1919 in Lymington Hampshire, to Frederick Norman Hardie and Grace E Ballard.
Keep up the interesting Blog x