Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Dead Dolphin ashore May 2016

Sunday, 28 February 2010

Epple Bay part two










Following on from the previous posting, I returned back to Epple Bay at 15:00 hrs. The strong winds and heavy rain and the strong tide had completely changed the landscape of the bay. The banked sea weed on the strandline had gone and the entire bay was littered with dead or dying Oysters. There were large amounts of Razor shells and Slipper Limpet shells at various levels of the beach that had also came in on the tide.
Comparing the photograph in the top left hand corner to my photograph from the previous posting, really does highlight the strength of the tide as the re landscaped beach does confirm.
The sea gulls were noisily hovering above and a large number of small sea birds could be seen feeding on the receding shoreline , I tried to count them but I could only estimate around 150, this number included turnstones who were also taking advantage of the free offerings the tide had brought in.
I made every effort not to disturb the sea birds as I continued to pick up Oyster shells and other sea shells for my collection, which I have photographed above.

1 comment:

Tony Beachcomber said...

Normally I would pick up Oysters that have come ashore and put them back in the rock pools lower down the beach.At epple Bay I don't because the rock Oyster is a invasive species and most important of all Oysters are becoming part of the food chain for the small sea birds in that area.